We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The hazelnut tree is a fruit shrub appreciated for its delicious hazelnuts, green or blond.
In summary, what you need to know:
Last name : Corylus avellana
Family : Betulaceae
Type : Shrub
Height : 4 to 6 m
Exposure : Sunny
Ground : Ordinary, rather light
Foliage : Expired -Flowering : Spring -Harvest : Fall
- Health: benefits and virtues of hazelnuts on health
It is best to plant the hazelnut tree in autumn to promote rooting before winter.
But you can also plant the rest of the year, avoiding the hot summer months and winter frosts.
It is essential to plant 2 different varieties to promote fertilization and to have fruit. When buying your hazelnuts, please note that they are indeed different varieties ...
- As flowering takes place in January, it is important to plant before mid-December.
- Add an amendment or compost to the plantation.
- Mix this amendment with potting soil and soil from your garden.
- Soak the root ball for a few minutes in a bucket of water.
- This step is important, follow our advice planting shrubs.
Hazelnut pruning and maintenance
The hazelnut tree, when properly established, is an easy to maintain shrub. Regular pruning improves the harvest.
The first pruning takes place at the plantation, it is a training size that allows him to guide him for the following years.
- Cut the twigs about 1/3 of their length.
Then, no size for a few years in order to allow time for the hazelnut tree to develop well.
The following size takes place after about 5 years, a pruning in winter in order to contain the size of the hazelnut tree improves harvests.
- Prune during the vegetative rest period, from December to mid-February.
- The hazel tree dreads too straightforward pruning and prefers a soft size.
- Halve the young shoots to limit the size of the hazelnut tree to 1.8-2 m in height
- Remove dead wood and branches over 10 years old.
If you want to cut down on branches or balance the hazelnut tree, never do this before flowering.
Hazelnuts are harvested as soon as the fruit breaks off the shrub and falls to the ground.
But you can also eat hazelnuts that are still green as long as you eat them immediately because they cannot be stored.
The prerequisite for storing hazelnuts is to let them ripen until they are finished.
- We know they are ripe when they have a nice brown / brown tint
- They should easily come off their envelope
- Dry the hazelnuts in the open air but without direct sunlight
- Then store the hazelnuts in a dry and, ideally, rather cool place.
Balanin, hazel worm
The hazel worm, or balanin, lodges inside the hazelnut and devours it completely.
The surprise is therefore bad when we realize that the interior is empty!
- The balanin lodges underground to spend the winter
- Since it doesn't like the cold, you just have to scratch the ground in winter to dislodge it
- The slightest frost will then be right for its survival and you will be rid of it ...
To know about the hazelnut tree
Hazelnut cannot be installed in isolation because it needs another hazelnut tree nearby to produce hazelnuts.
So install it in massif but also in the building hedges, it is in the interest of making your hedge aesthetic and productive!
The hazelnut harvest takes place in the fall and, even if the virtue of this large shrub is above all the harvesting of its fruits, it is no less decorative thanks to its beautifully cut and colored foliage.
Smart tip about the hazelnut tree
Remove the suckers as you go.
To read also:
- How and when to prune a hedge
- Growing and caring for purple hazelnut